Sunday, January 18, 2009

The End of an Era

Yesterday I wished one of my dearest friends and favorite roommates farewell. We stuffed her into a car packed to the hilt with her last few belongings. The last items that tied her to Dallas and to me. It was with a mixture of sadness, and excitement that I watched her drive away; off to her new home in the Great White North.

I'm grateful for the time we spent together and that we got to live together. It is because of her I learned it is possible to have a deep relationship with someone who doesn't share my background. We had our differences that made us wage mini wars, throwing out attacks and counter attacks, drawing the line in the sand, daring the other to cross it. When we did, we ended up much closer than before. We shared countless hours of laughter, cringed together over awkward moments, rallied each other through discouraging times and grew in our faith together. I remember she once asked if I thought there was a limit to the amount of great friends one gets to have in this life. I still don't know the answer to that question, but, if there is a limited number and I'm nearing the end of my ration, I'm sure glad she made the quota.

So Camelot here's a little ditty that was once read to me as I entered a new period of my life. It has been a few years now, but I have never forgotten it. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it encapsulates all my hopes for you. Happy trails Hon, and Cheers to your big new Adventure!

"May the road rise up to meet you.May the wind be always at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face;the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

1 comment:

CC said...

OOhhh tears and sadness, I miss ya lady!!! thanks for the sweet farewell, it is much appreciated. i'll really miss our random hilarious convos, and cringing over all the awkward moments! you were one of the best roomies a girl could ask for, and i'm so gratefull to consider you one of my dearest friends!!!!