Monday, December 22, 2008

It's the little things

O.K. folks this one has been coming for a looooong time there are just certain things that annoy the heck outta me every freaking day behind the front desk. 1st when you check into the hotel, and I greet you with a "Hi how are you", you respond either by telling me your last name, or tossing a credit card at me (more on that in a minute). I believe the correct response to "Hi how are you" is "I'm good" or "I'm tired" or something that describes an emotion or conveys your mood, not your name. Don't be rude, respond appropriately.

Secondly tossing your credit card at me. This happens all day everyday, and while it seems to be the disease of men, I have female wrist flickers as well.

Does it make you feel important to slide the card across the table, as if you're just too cool to hand it to me? I can see the look on your face of practiced nonchalance as if you're a professional jet setter and common courtesy is just soooo beyond you. I particularly enjoy when you pretend you don't hear me say I need to see your Picture I.D., and on occasion feign injury as if I've just accused you of murder.

In this day and age with identity theft rampant, I find it comical that you are insulted by my request. I've even had a couple of you go as far as saying that you will take your business elsewhere. Really people, really? I'll call you a freaking cab because you're an idiot.

If your card was stolen and used at our hotel you'd be outraged that we allowed some random to check in without looking at an I.D. Get over yourself!!!. I've requested I.D. from celebrities before, and they don't complain, trust me you're not that important.

Then there is the issue of valet, now this is a double edged sword of contention. The first part is that you think it's ludicrous that you have to pay for Valet, and that you have to pay quite a bit for it. I admit it kinda sucks, but then so does taxes. No matter how much you pay for your room, it's not included. No amount of bitching is going to rectify that, so shut up and pay for it or park off property and walk. Those are your options, deal with it.

The second thing is coming to the front desk and asking me for your car. Now if you call from your room and ask for it, that's entirely different, but if you come down to the lobby.....why do you come to the front desk to ask for your car, particularly when the valet person is standing right behind you. I didn't park it, I don't know where it is, and I can't get it for you. There isn't a parking lot in the office behind me so stop being lazy and give the ticket to the person who can help you.

At the end of the day, don't underestimate courtesy, these tiny things can be the difference between my going beyond the call of duty for you, or my complete lack of indifference, ( i.e. the reason it takes 4 hours for you to get a toothbrush before your morning meeting). Sure you'll still get service, but that's what I'm paid to do. You have no idea how much better your stay could be and how many niceties that aren't offered to you regularly that might become available if you exercise a little courtesy.

No comments: